An Irritating First Day

Well it was my first day as a house officer. Orientation day 1. This whole week is orientation. Should be good. Should be exciting.

Today was a total bust.

And I need to vent on here.

So how did my morning start?


7:30am start was written on the timetable. I’ve been on break for the past 2 weeks so I was already having trouble waking up early. I planned to leave 45 minutes early to get to Middlemore hospital which is a 20 minute drive from my house. I had given myself twice the amount of time I would need. 

And it was useless. I’m not sure what it was as I have travelled on this motorway for a whole year the last time I was at Middlemore. But in 2 years, the development of traffic has been shocking. It took me and my friend who takes the same route, 1 hour to get there. Meaning, I left at 6:45am and got to the hospital at 7:45am. MEANING, I was late. On my first day of a new house officer year. 

Miracle of miracles atleast I didn’t miss much. Actually, I showed up and the introductory talk lasted all of 7 minutes before we were given a 1hr break. 

So what did I rush for? Nothing really. 

The 1hr break was for everyone to go get their access cards and parking cards sorted. I had done this a week ago because a lack of a parking card meant that I had to park in public parking for 10$ until I got the card. So I came in early to avoid that. While I was there, they also gave me my access card. So yay I was organised beforehand. 

But when everyone else got their access cards today, they were also given their meal cards. House officers get free food at the hospital with their meal card. Mine was missing. Why? Because I got my access card early and nobody told the department that issues meal cards this. Or some admin screw up to that effect.

The lady running the session said to me, when I approached her asking for my meal card: ” Oh so you thought you’d be so organised beforehand, but see now they didn’t give you your meal card. Which is the best part really” 


Why the heck would anyone think that’s funny? I don’t know you like that. Why would you rub it in?? 

So I was given vouchers for the week instead and told that “hopefully” I would get the card by the end of the week.

The rest of the day was quite slow. So many breaks interspersed with irrelevant talks and a walk around a hospital I was already familiar with.

It was nice to see my friends again, but there were also 54 other house officers in the room that I had to socialise with as they’re the people I’ll be spending a year with. And truth be told, that notion made me quite tired. I need to try be a more sociable person. I feel like I’ve lost that about me. I’m basically only comfortable around very very few people. And that’s not a useful way to be. 


Oh well. I guess in a way it’s a good thing that all these annoying things happened on the first day. Like a good omen for the rest of this year maybe. We’ll see. 

4 days left. I’ll need luck. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s